Alibaba IPO = Singpost peak?

Alibaba who recently invested in Singpost is going IPO soon in September. Lim Ho Kee, chairman of Singpost also sold most of his Singpost shares on 8-9 September. Lim Tan Securities said that Lim Ho Kee is a good barometer of Singpost shares peaks.

September 10, 2014 at 9:14 pm Leave a comment

Osim CFO substantial sale of shares:A warning sign?

Osim CFO sold about 40% of his shares recently. Osim shares has been doing well and its earnings seem great although slowing down in growth. With China probably due for a slowdown in growth, its massage chairs sale may face tougher times. Luxury tea sales is a growth industry but it takes time to grow.

August 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm Leave a comment

Is Straco Corporation buying Singapore Flyer?

Thanks to valuebuddies forum, one forummer speculated that the recent announcement by Straco Corporation that it has set up a Singapore incoporated subsidiary called “Bay Attractions” and a February 2014 CIMB initiation report on Straco mentioned that “Straco is currently looking at the potential acquisition of a distressed tourism asset in Asia in 1Q14. If the acquisition successfully goes through, this will be the first tourist attraction that Straco will operate outside of China. The asset has a project size exceeding S$100m, and Straco is looking to acquire a 90% stake, with the remaining 10% stake going to a strategic shareholder. While
management has guided that the project will not be as profitable as the Shanghai Ocean Aquarium, the project is an area in which it has some expertise and it is confident that it can run well. The positive is that this project will diversify the group’s revenues outside of China and the aquarium segment.” could be pointing to the fact that Singapore Flyer is the acquisition target of Straco.

August 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm Leave a comment

Straits times index historical tidbit

According to Motley fool article, the Straits times index’s ” best day ever in those 22 years(1992-2014) happened on 8 February 1995 when it rose an astonishing 36.95% according to S&P Capital IQ. What about the worst day for the index? That’s 9 February 1995 when it collapsed by 28.14%. “

It happens that such immense volatility happened in the month which saw Barings bank collapse due to a trader’s gambling gone awry. In the end, the year 1995 saw STI post a 2.7% loss. For long term investors, 9 February was certainly a day to buy stocks provided you have spare cash.
You won’t know when these type of events will occur, but be prepared psychologically and financially is worth it.

July 22, 2014 at 1:04 pm Leave a comment

Singapore Jubilee Baby Gift Package costs $7.476million

Noel Gifts International just announced a contract worth $7.476 million awarded by the National Population & Talent Division from Prime Minister’s Office for the supply,design and distribution of 2015 Singapore Jubilee Baby Gift Package. Recently, the gift package was revealed, consisting of 8 items.

Is the money well-spent? Each baby gets a gift package worth around $187 (assuming about 40,000 babies born in 2015).

July 1, 2014 at 5:12 pm Leave a comment

Are UMS Holdings insiders sales a concern?

UMS CEO and it major customer Applied Materials has been unloading their shares substantially.UMS shares has enjoyed a good run since its announcement of bonus shares, so naturally profit-taking to lower risk is expected especially when the company is so dependent on 1 customer and a highly cyclical industry.

Normally,i will take it as a red flag if insiders sell but in this case, semiconductor industry is still doing well and expected to do well for the rest of the year. Unless the insiders know something that isn’t reflected in the news, insider sales, in this case, is purely de-risking and not running ahead of bad news.

June 9, 2014 at 8:07 pm 2 comments

Manufacturing Integration Technology-Rise from ashes?

Disclaimer:I am vested in this stock, so will be biased.

I went to Manufacturing Integration Technology AGM last Monday.

1)It explained its decision to postpone its move to Yishun Bizhub to 3 years later and meanwhile it will be collecting rentals on a gross yield of 6%.

2)The postponed solar equipment order will be delivered in July.The customer is Hanergy Solar, an upcoming thin film solar player whose CEO is 4th richest in china according to forbes china.

3)Noticed that Lim Chin Tong,its executive vice president is buying shares past few days.

4)Semiconductor backend equipment capital spending is increasing for this year, so is solar and LED equipment. This will boost sales provided that the company technology development is on par.

May 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm Leave a comment

Older Posts

Recent Posts

September 2014
« Aug    


Blog Stats

  • 24,786 hits


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.